It's been a long time since I posted about what books we are reading aloud to Nia, so I thought I'd try to catch up. I always love to hear what others are reading so be sure to leave a comment on what books you & your kiddos are enjoying these days.
- Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl - our version is one from Joe's childhood, published in 1978 and illustrated by Jill Bennett (most of the Dahl books are now illustrated by Quentin Blake). Bennett's illustrations are sweet and tender and accompany the story well.
- The Moomintroll series by Tove Jannson -- here is a link to the first in the series
- The Cobble Street Cousins series by Cynthia Rylant -- here is a link to the first in the series. I picked these originally for their very sweet pencil illustrations but found the stories equally as sweet and entertaining.
- The Mercy Watson series by Kate DiCamillo -- here is a link to the first in the series.
- The Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne -- here is a link to the first in the series. I read a handful of these and while I think the storyline is clever and really captures children's imaginations, I found reading them myself to be boring and tedious. So after reading a few, we checked some more out of the library on CD. They are good audio books, read by the author.
- The Boxcar Children series by Gertrude Chandler Warner -- here is a link to the first in the series. This is one of those series that has 100+ books in it. I think have read the first 12 to Nia. The first book was our absolute favorite, but many in the 12 we read were good. I think the illustrations in the first are the best, and then are pretty lacking after that. That is my only complaint.
- Beatrix Potter The Complete Tails by Beatrix Potter
- Stuart Little by E.B. White